From:
Rowena Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:57:18 -0800
I normally only lurk, but today I would like to add my
story to Carol's earlier post about babies with blood
in the stools. The mom was determined to breastfeed.
Her baby was very fussy 24/7, with green, explosive
stools. Her family urged her to wean to formula, which
just made her mad. When you hear hoofbeats you look
for horses not zebras, right? So we worked on
adjusting down her milk supply, which was probably
double, since she nursed often, trying to comfort the
baby. No improvement. Then we tackled the possibility
of sensitivity to dairy, soy or other foods. Mom
decided to eliminate dairy first. She was willing to
do whatever it took. Days passed, no improvement. I
encouraged her that this one could take ten days to
two weeks. She was becoming very discouraged by day
seven, but by day ten she noticed some improvement,
and by two weeks she felt optomistic that we had found
the right road.  Hurray! When I heard from the mom
next it was because the symptoms had returned, with
green, explosive stools and blood streaks! Mom had now
eliminated all foods but rice and turkey with
margarine(not my idea!), in an attempt to avoid soy. I
told her that this plan was bad for her and we needed
to broaden her diet for her own health. By this time
she was frustrated and snappy. When I finally got her
to read me the label of the "corn oil margerine",
there was the hidden soy! She agreed to broaden her
diet, and the baby improved markedly. She kept dairy
and soy out of her diet for a long time, and by  the
time she weaned, her toddler was on a normal diet with
no restrictions. I heard from this mom with the next
baby -- same story, second verse.  This is getting too
long, sorry. I'll save the other story for another
time. I hope this is helpful.
Rowena Tucker, BS, MA, IBCLC, LLLL
WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator