From:
Ann Calandro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 18:35:20 -0800
Two months ago I wrote about a mom I was working with who weighed almost 500 pounds, and was having trouble positioning her baby due to having very long breasts, and also very tough nipples.  She began using the breast pump and pumping her milk for her little guy.  I saw her yesterday, and here is what happened.

She was taking a nap one day when he was a month old. She placed the baby on the bed, about a foot away.  When she woke up, he was latched on and nursing. Really well, for the first time.  And he never looked back, has nursed and gained well. He gained two pounds in the past three weeks.

I appreciate those of you who wrote suggestions for them.  Tincture of time. Persistence. And a hungry baby.  Happy ending!

Ann Calandro,RNC,IBCLC