From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2010 11:34:25 -0600
I've changed the subject of this thread to better reflect the discussion.

RE: safety and security of donors/recipients and volunteers.

In my experience and observation in working with these women younger than
myself (I am 44) - they are way more tech saavy and world saavy than we give
them credit.  There are a large number of women working on this project, and
I think every type of work and world experience is covered.  These women
come from all backgrounds - business, law, health, education, women's
issues, etc and have a large pool of experience, skills and relationships to
draw on.  In my experience, many women who become involved in breastfeeding
advocacy have also worked in women's issues such as domestic abuse, etc and
are aware of issues of safety.

Just as there is a possibility for bad outcomes or abuse, there is
possibility for positive and amazing relationships to be formed.  I choose
to live with a world view that there are more positive possibilities than
negative ones, and it is worth the risk.  These women are the same, they
will not allow the fear of a few fetishists prevent them from helping the
many babies that need the milk.

I have always been impressed with the intelligence, ability and generosity
of the women involved in these movements, and I have learned to trust the
women who volunteer.  One person, agency or organization does not have the
ability or right to control the dialogue around breastfeeding or milk
sharing.  The milk belongs to the mothers.  I see this as a basic feminist
issue.

With so much interest in the components of human milk (see Valerie McClain's
blog) these days, I believe it is vitally important that women state their
claim on their own milk.    As a Canadian, I liken it to our Sovereignty
over the Arctic.  We Canadians know that to maintain our claim over the
Arctic as a part of Canada, we need to inhabit it, govern it, develop it and
look after it.  Otherwise, some other country will move in.

Ultimately, breastfeeding and the production and sharing of human milk,
belongs to the mothers.

Janice Reynolds

Nokomis, Saskatchewan , Canada