From:
Barb Otterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:41:09 -0400
Hi All:  I just thought I would add my .02 worth on this issue.  I have 4
children (3 daughters with my 1st husband, a son with my 2nd husband).  My
children weighed 8#1oz, 8#5oz, 8#5oz, and 8#12.5oz.  They grew rapidly and
were all in the high 90%ile of the growth charts,until 6 months.  At 6
months when they all dropped down to between 25-50%ile where they stayed.
My 1st daughters doctor (a doctor from the old school, he had delivered me
when I was born) said that their place on the growth chart before 6 months
was more a reflection of their birth weight and around 6 months the babies
gravitate toward their genetic place on their growth chart (my family is
all very small boned ranging in heights from 5ft-5ft5in).  When my last
child was born his doctor about had a fit when he fell on the growth chart
at 6 months (young doctor), he made me bring him back in every month for a
while "to make sure he was growing ok".  I reassured the doctor that he
would be just fine, he was eating like a horse and was active...just like
his sisters.  Does anyone else wonder why it's so great to be at 90%ile at
6 months, but if you are 6 yrs, 16 yrs, or 60yrs no one thinks it's so
great to be at the top of the growth charts...I think one should always ask
the mom how the baby is doing? Is he developmentally on track, is his
appetite OK? Look at the baby not just the numbers.  After all for the
growth chart's, you wouldn't have a chart if EVERYONE was above 50%, some
one has to be at the bottom.  My girlfriends two kids have yet to even make
it onto the growth chart, they are both so tiny they don't rank.  But they
eat well, are developmentally on track, and mom and dad are both small.
Sorry this is so long.
Barb in WI, mom to Brittany 18, Sabrina 16, Alyssa 13, Isaac 3, wife to Bill