Mon, 12 Sep 2016 19:52:24 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (54 lines)
Date:    Sat, 10 Sep 2016 20:08:44 -0400
Subject: DepoProvera

I have PTP.

Does anyone have experience with a mom receiving DepoProvera in the hospital before discharge and before milk supply was fully established? I am working with a dyad with slow weight gain in the first 8 days and the mom received the shot and was told it would not affect milk supply.

Laura Spitzfaden, LLLL, IBCLC

Date:    Sat, 10 Sep 2016 22:22:47 -0500
Subject: Re: DepoProvera

ABM Protocol #13 says that "Until better evidence exists, it is prudent to advise women that hormonal contraceptive methods may decrease milk supply especially in the early postpartum period."

"Every woman should be offered full information and support about contraceptive options so she can make an optimal decision for her individual situation.  Physicians and othr HCPs should not :pre-decide" which method is aappropriate.......

another old ref I found said depo can be given in the first week PP, but better to wait until 6 weeks.

I am really struggling and biting my tongue from saying what I really want to say :-b Pat in SNJ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tell us how you really feel, Pat!  

*sigh*  When I teach, I include birth control education and include information about Depo's or Mirena's possible effects on milk production.  Although it's an extra step, I suggest waiting the 6 weeks, then doing a trial of the progesterone-only birth control pill, and then if there is no effect on milk production, to then get a Mirena or Depo shot.  

Found these:http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/meds/birthcontrol/
 For most mothers, progestin-only forms of contraception do not cause problems with milk supply if started after the 6th-8th week postpartum and if given at normal doses. However, there are many reports (most anecdotal but nevertheless worth paying attention to) that some women do experience supply problems with these pills, so if you choose this method you still need to proceed with some caution.
http://www.med.unc.edu/nursing/programs/women/womens.ed/english/Depo%20Provera%20Information.pdf
• Depo Provera may reduce your breast milk or prevent your milk from coming in well, especially if it is given before you leave the hospital. • If you are breastfeeding, some health care providers suggest that you wait six weeks before getting the first Depo Provera shot. 

Also, I know two people who have gotten pregnant while on Depo, one of them twice.  

I think the reason for giving the shot right after birth is that so many people can't/won't get to their 6 week PP check up, so they won't go on any birth control and then get pregnant too soon.  If we had more comprehensive health care and paid parental leave, that would be less of a problem, but I digress....
Julie Tardos
====I have a feeling in a few years people are going to be doing what they always do when the economy tanks. They will be blaming immigrants and poor people. -- Mark Baum, The Big Short

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2