From:
Segev Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 1995 10:48:00 +0200
Hi all! Whew-it is HOT here: 90s to 100s and it's only June. That
together with my mom going into hypertensive crisis put me behind
(and I was ashamed to admit how overwhelmed I am-was with all the
wonderful email from lactnet until I heard happy complaints from
others).
Thanks, Martha, for the hyperbilirubinemia ref from Pediatrics.
Interestingly, though, last time that I spoke with the head of
newborn unit (a former Scot), he told me that our hospital policy
was even more liberal than phototherapy at 15 bili (he said 18,
but I suspect that not every ped willing to go for it). I hope
to hotfoot it over to the med library to look up "your" ref to
see what it says about d/cing bfing (I was brought up to abbrev
discontinue d/c, not discharge, sorry) in elevated bili.
Thank you, thank you for dietician input re glucose water + d/c
bfing in neonatal hypoglycemia. My gut instinct was that it
didn't make sense as ROUTINE THERAPY. When I overcome my ruffled
feathers at being patronized at our hospital, I will tackle the
neos again. (I sometimes feel that some of them time-travelled
from a conservative German institution of the turn of the
century.)
By-the-bye, Martha, I was born and raised in Cincinnati. It's
really true that Ohioans have more fun? I'm not blond, so have
to cash in somewhere. Judy Knopf