Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:42:03 +0300
I got some more info on the  Collodion baby today.   First of all, like
Barb's case, this baby was put in quarantine for the first few days for
fear of staph infection, to which these babies are very susceptible.
The mom tried pumping but did not produce very much and gave up early
on.
The fish mouth describes the way that the mouth was held flanged due to
the collodion membrane, and this prevented the baby from sucking in
utero.
Yesterday they took her  down to do a swallow test on her by having her
swallow   some sort of liquid to see if there was some sort of
obstruction.  She apparently thought the stuff was pretty good and from
that very minute on started eating from a bottle!!  Today she was eating
almost normally.  If I didn't see it I would not have believed.
I want to tell the mom Barb's story and try to convince her to give
breastfeeding another shot!!
I will try to get a soft  cup to try with her.
Esther Grunis, IBCLC, counting the days till I leave for my long overdue
vacation!! (22 to be exact !!)