From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 06:49:18 -0800
 I am so sorry for those who have had negative support from hospital staff
with babies that were dangerously ill ...

I thought I'd give a different side of the story from a situation we had
when I worked in Puerto Rico - the baby was born with such trauma (another
story of induction gone wrong) that he had NO reflexes.  No nurse in the
hospital had ever seen a baby this sick recover.

However, when the mom indicated she had wanted to breastfeed her baby, her
pediatrician and the nurses made sure I was informed, I arranged for a pump
and followed her closely during those first difficult days.  Family members
thought she was going "overboard", but at the same time were glad she had
something to concentrate on besides her very sick baby.

I was one of the staff helping her to hold her baby on day 2 and 3 - a shock
to me, too, seeing an infant that could not respond AT ALL!

By day 5 the baby WAS making sucking movements with the mouth - and by day
10 was breastfeeding!  I saw them again when he was 9 months old - a normal,
healthy child who played "If I drop my toy, you'll pick it up." with me.

This was MY lesson - make SURE every mother that WANTED to breastfeed is
assisted in doing so - the end result is not mine, but I can make a
difference with my small part.  Since then I have been extremely vocal in
any trainings I offer to hospital nurses - help the mom accomplish what she
planned!

Jeanette Panchula
California