From:
Vicki Hayes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 16:15:31 -0400
my first thought is uric acid crystals, "brick dust" urine, that I
describe to parents as looking orange-pink or like someone took
mom's "blush" or bronzer makeup powder and wiped it on the inside of the
diaper and tell them it's concentrated urine that can be associated with
too much weight loss. usually at the postpartum visit (day 3-5 of life),
I'm undressing the baby for a naked weight, I see the brick dust in the
diaper, at the same time parents are reaching in the diaper bag to bring
out the 3 other diapers like that that they've saved since the day before
to show the nurse, and then the baby is more than 10% loss from birth wt.
so then a full breastfeeding assessment with ac/pc wt, getting mom pumping
and supplementing that EBM if necessary, and usually at the next day's
follow-up parents report heavily saturated, clear yellow, wet diapers and
the baby shows a weight gain.

Subject: Red-tinged urine in neonate