From:
Sarah Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 1997 06:35:23 -0400
On Sun, 11 May 1997, Lyla Wolfenstein wrote:

I do hope that it is 10 days not weeks <g>

> 1) if she is gone for ten days, what are the chances her 16 month old
> daughter will resume nursing again upon her return?
It depends on the child- the separation is very hard on a child that age even
without a loss of the nursing relationship.  Some kids refuse much
contact with mom upon her return.  Lots of cuddling and skin to skin will
help with both

> 2) will she still have milk, or will her daughter need to work extra hard to
> get it back - and will the baby be willing to work that hard?

> 3) should she pump while gone - and if so, she has had no luck with hand
> helds - what is a good pump, portable? (or are these kind of recommendations
> inappropriate for the list?)
She NEEDS a pump if she can't express.  She will get painfully engorged
otherwise.  A copious supply will also help the toddler resume nursing.
Maybe she can find an LLL leader or LC to teach her how to hand express.
I am not a pump expert - for the most part I think that mothers need to
hand express or have a hospital grade electric for serious situations.
If she is travelling in US maybe she wants to rent a good pump or buy one
of the more expensive pumps.  Seems to me if she is committed to nursing
the baby on return this isn't an unwaranted expense.

> 4) should she gradually cut down the number of nursings to one or 2 before
> she leaves - to make it easier transition for her daughter, and also to
> avoid her own discomfort?
I think the stress of limiting the baby beforehand won't make it easier
on either of them (Just my not so humble opinion)

>will she get engorged at this late stage of nursing?
Absolutely

> any other advice?
figure out how she can take the baby along.  Lots of people think it is
impossible when it is not.

Sarah

Sarah Friend Barnett   LLLL, IBCLC
Bronx (New York City), NY  -  [log in to unmask]
" You are not obliged to finish the task,
 neither are you free to neglect it."       R. Tarfon