From:
Georgia Morrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 05:07:19 EST
Christine,
      You asked how babies breastfeed within one hour following a cesarean
birth?

In our hospital, the baby stays in the operating room usually held by the
father or
support person until mom is taken to the recovery room which is in the same
area.
The baby goes with the mom to the recovery room.  The baby is then held by
the mother and breastfed.  If the nurse caring for the mother is unable to
assist which happens often, the lactation consultant will assist.  Typically, we
may be supporting the baby while the L&D nurse is hooking the IV up to the pump,
hanging the foley bag, etc.  Moms usually are feeling fairly well immediately
following surgery, but may have limited mobility
due to the epidural.  Often, we will remain for the entire feeding supporting
the baby which means we may be with mom and baby for an hour or so.  This
allows mom and baby to have skin to skin contact and for that baby to have an
initial colostrum feeding as well as conveying the message that mom's milk is
essential for her baby. This also eliminates the necessity of supplementing that
baby.  The baby will then go to the triage nursery.  If the baby's chemstrip
is low, the triage nurse will page us to return the baby to mom for nursing.
         Before placing the baby skin to skin, note the temperature of mom's
skin especially her arms.  Occasionally, mom will be cool to the touch and in
that case we will
leave the baby in warm blankets (we have a blanket warmer in L&D).
       We still have the old triage nursery concept in our hospital, however
are working to change that.  Unquestionably, moms and babies should not be
separated, however change is a slow process.
        Warmly,
        Georgia

      A persons a person, no matter how small.
      Dr. Seuss     Whorton Hears a Who