From:
Sara Bernard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 23:32:27 +0200
For anyone whose interested...
I was at a sea life centre today (it's taken my family at least 4 years of
persuasion to get me there!), anyway it was worth it as I was able to
witness some really good mother-baby-feeding interactions! There were some
sealions (the largest type, sorry don't know the english name out my head)
and one of them had a baby of about a month. It was interesting to see what
"feeding on demand" meant for this pair - the first time I watched them it
appeared to be the mother who initated the feed (pushed the pup onto a more
comfortable rock before exposing herself) The second time the pup was crying
out for it's mother after being "bullied" by another female. Mother duely
appeared out the water and the pup started nusling her belly to get her to
rol over a bit and expose the teats. I was also able to watch a walrus feed
her pup. Sounds all so normal, but for a biologist / boobologist its was
really exiting!

Anyway, I managed to get some fairly decent photo's of 'latch' pups if
anyone wants them?

groetjes

Sara Bernard, The Netherlands
(gobsmacked as to how many people were calling the dolphins "fish"!!!!!)