From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 20:13:44 +1100
Wendy,
You need to understand the size of the problem of donations of formula in
emergencies. The amount that arrives after any sort of disaster is way, way,
way in excess of that required (for eg in of the aid flown into the Balkans
in the 90s 1/3 was baby food or bottles...1/3). I'll say it again, there are
organisations working on infant feeding and this includes for babies for
whom breastmilk cannot be provided  (and yes, wet nursing is an extremely
viable and practical option in an emergency). They need $$$ to do this. They
buy their own formula as needed. They support mothers/carers to relactate.
There has not been anything extreme said about the risks of artificial
feeding in emergencies or the danger of donations. The amount being
collected by Americans who do not understand that formula causes illness is
unprecedented.
Karleen Gribble
Australia