From:
Maria Paciullo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2012 00:32:58 -0400
I am a little in disbelief at the reasoning in this discussion.  Re:  going to any lengths--
I will say that I missed many of the posts on this topic, but seeing this one. . .
Is the question what price is it worth it to pay to get your baby milk that will help it survive?  If someone absolutely has no money for something, where is the CHOICE????  That is not the same as CHOOSING formula.  The old posts were about choosing formula because it is somehow safer and maybe even better?! than breastmilk.  arghhhh
ok. . .  We already covered that heat-treated artificial substitutes are not safer than heat-treated breastmilk.  I won't even go there regarding artificial chemical soups made from another species'  milk not being anywhere close to safe, let along equivalent to breastmilk!
Now, as for price, I believe the original point was that we could encourage milk sharing with appropriate safeguards.  I think it is universally agreed that mothers selling milk to others for a profit is a very bad idea.  But if moms can go online to the milk-sharing websites and reach out to other nursing mothers (but first get good lactation help, because most mothers CAN breastfeed!!!!) then money isn't going to be the issue with human milk.
I give up, I have nothing further to say on this issue.