Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 11:34:31 EST
While we certainly have no evidence (that I know of!) that early breast
development is associated with breastfeeding, we do have evidence that
premature thelarche is associated with feeding infants soy formula. In 1982
pediatric endocrinologists in Puerto Rico reported an increase in the
incidence of breast development in girls younger than 8 years. Of the 552
cases reported between 1978 and 1982 a representative group of 130 were
studied in an attempt to identify possible causes. Of these, 68% experience
the onset of thelarche before they were 18 monts old. A positive statistical
correlation was found between consuming soy formula and premature thelarche.
Scary business.

Freni-Titulaer LW, Cordero JF, Haddock L, Lebron G, Martinez R, Mills JL.
Premature thelarche in Puerto Rico: A search for environmental factors. Am J
Dis Child 1986; 140:1263-1267

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA