From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 11:44:06 +1100
Rachael,
I am so so glad that the surgery has gone well. So glad that your daughter
and SIL had yourself there to pick up on something being wrong.
Karleen Gribble
Australia

 couldn't possibly write this post before she had gotten through the
surgery.  My daughter and son-in-law were happy to consent to having it
posted, in the interests of making people who work with breastfeeding aware
of the condition.  Children with it usually get picked up when they are much
sicker.  It is excruciatingly difficult to detect since it does not cause
any abnormalites on auscultation and the baby can look great as long as the
compensatory mechanisms are still working.  When they are no longer able to
compensate they deteriorate over the course of a few days to the point where
they need emergency surgery to survive.   My granddaughter was
well-nourished, well-hydrated, and not at all stressed because her basic
needs have been met so well by her parents, from the moment she was born
right up to when her father handed her over to the anesthetist.  (I hope I
never see that expression on his face again.  But the smiles on our faces
when she was brought to ICU following the surgery were just as far on the
other end of the spectrum that goes from despair to joy.)  She is not out of
the woods yet but the biggest wolves have been vanquished and she has
fabulous people, in addition to her parents, looking out for her for as long
as she's in there.

I'm not one to cry zebra often.  But once in a long long while, the
hoofbeats you hear in Texas aren't horses or a cattle stampede, they are a
zebra escaped from the zoo.  So if your gut tells you that there is
something wrong, and it won't leave you alone, please respect yourself
enough to get it investigated before calling it a horse.  I hesitated to
make my daughter anxious but the bottom line was, I was anxious and my
husband even more so.  Our concerns, as put to our daughter's health care
providers, were heard in time.  But it's scary that it was all down to us
because there IS no planned contact between newborns and the health services
besides the visit from the public health nurse, who comes on ONE home visit,
theoretically within two days after family are discharged from hospital.

<http://ammehjelpen.no/paamelding-fagseminar-2011?id=1132>

lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet