From:
Anisa Cottrell Willis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:19:59 -0400
just what I needed--thanks!  The info I had was pretty outdated.

Anisa Cottrell Willis

PS:  here is the letter I just sent

Dear Sir,

The sequence of two recent features strikes me as ironic.  In the July
31-August 6 edition, you present a feature on the relationship between
hunger and poverty in the developing world (“Food for Thought”); in this
article you mention the staggeringly positive impact that exclusive
breastfeeding during the first six months of life would make on these
countries.  In your next issue (August 7-13) you feature the Nestlé Company;
minimal mention is made this company’s self-promotion in these same
developing countries.  Nestlé’s marketing of its’ artificial feeding
products designed for infants, oftentimes in countries where there is
insufficient clean water and/or money to continue using the products once
the samples are used and the mother’s milk dries up secondary to their use,
is in violation of the WHO guidelines for the marketing of breast milk
substitutes and contributes significantly to the rates of starvation and
disease in these regions.   More information on these practices may be found
on the Internet at http://www.ibfan.org/english/pdfs/btr04/btr04nestle.pdf

It is erroneously stated that only “idealistic teenagers” concern themselves
with the Nestlé Boycott. Many people I know, myself included, do our best to
avoid Nestlé products (although this is increasingly difficult to do given
their near omnipresence on grocery store shelves).  We are neither naive nor
adolescent; we are mothers and other individuals who do what we can in our
daily spending to help ensure that vulnerable children and women are not
stripped of their birthright of breastfeeding.

Anisa Cottrell Willis