From:
Marsha Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2008 19:04:23 -0400
I have two thoughts for this mother.  Two things that I think can account
for unusual amount of gas are tongue tie and reflux.  I know the baby's
tongue was clipped but was it enough?  That's one place to look.  My dd's
second son has arrived with the same posterior tongue tie as his older
brother and we are (I should say "my daughter is" because she lives several
states away) still working to get it clipped, six weeks later.  I think
sometimes when tongues are clipped, they may not be clipped enough and some
problems or symptoms persist.  Also, undiagnosed reflux causes babies to
ingest more air leading to more gas.  The more hidden these conditions are,
imo, the more puzzling the symptoms because you can't see the obvious
source.  Of course, dairy or some other food, may be causing it.  My
daughter (different one) is lactose intolerant.  I have recounted my story
of her issues in the beginning months of her life on LN before, one of which
was a very strong dairy intolerance.  She became lactose intolerant around
10 years of age and ...to put it indelicately... very smelly gas was a
symptom that was very obvious.  Of course, she had stomachaches as well.
All these are things to look into and I hope this mom sorts it out soon.  At
the very least though, I think the only thing formula is going to do is make
the symptoms WORSE!  I sure wouldn't start there!  All of these conditions
would not be helped by formula and at least two would be made worse.

Marsha, Mimi to Christian, Cambria, Ravi and Lucas

Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations
as all
other earthly causes combined.