From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 14:43:33 EDT
In a message dated 4/6/00 12:20:26 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Next, to get high wt loss babies to gain, I always teach moms and all
others
present to do infant massage at least twice per day.  It has several
purposes:  gets people touching baby, which increases weight gain (can't
find the references here, but they do exist); and it gives them an active
role so that they feel like they can "do something."   >>

Many years ago, I worked with a mom of a 36 wk, under 5lb baby who was very
sleepy and would not take the breast. Mom pumped milk easily and had a good
supply, so he never had formula. He was also born with no interventions. His
wt gain, though was really a struggle. Mom used an SNS and breast
compression. He also lagged behind developmentally. She was from India and
she finally went there for the summer when he was several months old. She
said in India, he would have been massaged every day by the "nurse" who was
hired to help with child care. When he returned a couple of months later
(still exclusively bf), he was a totally different baby, robust and healthy
and developmentally on target. Now, we also have other factors here (like her
ability to be more relaxed in her homeland, the fact that she had hired help
in her parents' house to take care of housework, etc), but this baby had
received a massage twice per day and he had truly flourished!
    Recently, I worked with another mom who was raised in India. Her baby
latched on poorly, had a shallow suckle and mom's milk supply was low at 5
days pp. She was losing wt and was sleepy, slightly jaundiced. The birth had
been traumatic and the baby seemed unable to open her mouth fully. I asked
her if her baby would be massaged in India and she said yes, but she had not
learned. So, she went to a massage therapist, learned some great techniques
and is nursing beautifully now (correct positioning and latch also taught, of
course). I have referred to massage therapists regularly over the years w/
excellent success.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA