From:
Rene Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 00:59:49 -0500
Hi All,
    I am so happy to have Lactnet, even when I dont have time to read everything I know the archives are always there for me.  I've been working in the hospital for about 4 months.  Some days good some overwhelming (This week more overwhelming, my office looks like my kids where there).  I'm trying to move slowly and make changes that make a difference.  I boycotted a lunch given by the formula guy, no one even knew about the Code, well they do now.  they all thought I was strange not to accept a free lunch.
    My next step is a doosie,  I made a breastfeeding survey to be sent out to all bf moms, then I met with Quality assurance and two of the questions will go on a graph for the hospital board to see.  Since I've been there the biggest complaint I have heard from mom's is that the breastfeeding information they have gotten from the staff is inconsistent. the second problem is how long after delivery they can nurse the baby. so those are the two questions that are being used.  I know the answers, no one is consistent and baby's don't nurse soon enough.  QI told me not to do bf education for 2 months after the survey goes out so we can show a change.
    In a perfect world I could have been working on breastfeeding education from day one but in the world of money and reality I have been working on a lot of financial stuff.  I started a pump station, made my own department, met with finance and public relations.  At least I've been seeing mom's with problems, doing callbacks, and working on getting confrences scheduled but the survey will be the first thing I do to show them where they stand.
    I think this is a step in the right direction, I hope so.  I want to strenthen the policys the're not bad but I don't think they are followed to well.
    Anyhow, it has been wonderful being on Lactnet, knowing I'm not alone helps keep me going in a positive direction.  I have to remember baby steps, change comes slowly and many other words of wisdom I've read from all the wise breastfeeding guru's out there.
Thanks,
Rene Fisher LLL, BA, IBCLC
Middletown, NY