From:
Debby Saalfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 09:10:58 -0400
Dear Lactnetters.

I neglected to include in my last lengthy post that I also tell parents that
nipple shields are like using  jumper cables to get your car started but not
meant for drivng around with.

That analogy seems to get the point across that the shield will get the
nursing going again just as a car battery BUT you still have to do all the
other correct things to keep that car or breastfeeding going and prevent the
battery from wearing down again.  You don't want to rely on the jumper cables
.You may not always have them with you !!

I always tell Moms what their options are to get the baby to respond to the
breast.  In ten years I have never had ANYONE ever choose any of the other
methods. Their eyes would glaze over just hearing about them.  I ALWAYS allow
them an educated choice .   They are the consumer of the health care system
and should be allowed to choose from the reasonable options.  I don't have to
share my prejudice. The choice seems ridiculously to logical to them.   The
shields looked natural and easy and affordable, and logical .  And logical.
It is not "rocket science".

Debby
PS I do not have that JHL issue of last Dec. But will order it.  My
JHLsubscription expired over a year ago and  I never even miss it !!