From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 22:32:14 +0900
>>Talked to a mom today she complains  that her bf infant  who is 5 weeks
>>of age and receiving only breastmilk is very gassy and fussy.  The infant
>>is on Bethancol and Zantec for reflux without much improvement.  She is
>>also using gavasicon with no improvement.  She has omitted all dairy
>>products in her diet for 1 week still no improvement.  I suggested that
>>she either breastfeed on one breast per feeding or to pump times 5
>>minutes then put the infant to the breast  to see if there is a lactose
>>intolerence problem, because there is more lactose in the foremilk.  The
>>infant is bf every 2 to 3 hrs and is gaining wt. well.   Hope I am on the
>>right track.  Please HELP?  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Also the
>>infant is having a sufficient amt. of stools and urine.  The color of the
>>stools are the normal color of yellow.<<

This sounds like classic oversupply, to me. Too much milk, too fast. You
are most likely on the right track. It's actually lactose 'overload' rather
than 'intolerance'. One sided feeding is a good suggestion - even two feeds
in a row on one side if they are fairly close together. There is also the
possibility that baby is *more* fussy because of the drug 'cocktail'. Dairy
sensitivity could still be a possibility - it can take about 3 weeks to
clear the system. Or could be another intolerance.

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]