From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 23:22:23 -0400
Hi, all:  Now that I am recommending gentian violet more and more, I've
had some questions come up which I didn't really see covered in the
archives. The first is:  what do you do if the baby nurses very frequently
after application, resulting in essentially wiping away the purple color
within a few hours of application - should mom ever reapply under such
circumstances?  The second question: if gv seems to help but symptoms
either are not completely resolved after 3 days or if they recur, how soon
and how often can one retreat with gv?  The final question is: if mom's
symptoms are resolved but after 3 days of treatment the baby still has
visible thrush in its mouth, is it safe to discontinue gv treatment on
the baby and hope that mom's symptoms won't recur?  Thanks for all the
wonderful sharing of expertise and experience.  Alicia Dermer, MD, IBCLC,
Central New Jersey, USA.