Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:43:56 EDT

Katharine West (good to  see you back!) writes:

<<ILCA should have adopted this approach years ago.

I passed  my first and only IBCLE in 1988 and have practiced as a private
lactation  consultant before and since passing the exam. I have ALWAYS
maintained from  the beginning that the IBCLC functions as a license
regardless of how it is  named and ILCA should have called it (should do)
what it is: a national  License.

Way back (1993) when I inquired about the logic of mandatory  retesting
instead of regular renewal by CEs, because it seemed that the  certification
was functioning like a license, I was told that ILCA did not  want to issue
licenses because then IBCLCs "might get sued if they have a  license.">>

Just a quick note -- ILCA  is the professional organization; IBLCE is the
credentialing body.    Everything that you wrote really pertains to IBLCE, not
ILCA.

And while I'm at it -- I'll make another plug for everyone joining ILCA as
YOUR professional organization!!

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, Wheaton IL
_www.lactationeducationconsultants.com_
(http://www.lactationeducationconsultants.com/)
"I  would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there
isn't,  than live my life as though there isn't, and die to find out there
is." -  Pascal