From:
Del Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 12:46:51 +0800
Hi Kristi

This will not fully answer your question but I am studying to sit my LC exam (in 4 weeks - Eekk!!) and this is from one of the online exam preparation courses.

It was in answer to a question about a woman adopting a three week old baby and she had never been pregnant before. You may find this reference helpful and also encouraging for the mum. This is one of those times where mind over matter will be a big part. Confidence on her part will be a determining factor. If she has been pregnant and breastfed (even for a short time) before she has a bigger advantage than the one in this exam prep question.

Frequent, effective suckling, which removes milk as it is produced is all that is needed. Read the Nigerian study by Abejide, 1997. Galactagogues and prenatal hormones may also be helpful, particularly to induce a good supply before the baby is received by the adopting mother, but not necessary to stimulate a supply.

You may find this helpful   http://www.who.int/child-adolescent-health/New_Publications/NUTRITION/WHO_CHS_CAH_98_14.pdf

You may like to post something to the list if you find out more.

Best Wishes what an awesome experience to be involved with,
PS good luck with your LC exam!! are you sitting this year??
Del
Del Smith
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Southern Lakes Group WA http://www.starwon.com.au/~delma/index.htm