From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 1997 23:03:14 -0700
Hi All,
Since Jodi asked about my client, thought I'd let you know that the baby is
off the ventilator and respirator!  The Docs thought she would not be able
to handle it for too long and expected to have her back on in a short time,
but thought they'd give her a try anyway.  Well, she surprised them all!
She is doing great.  She is on oxygen, but mom has gotten to hold her (is
still waiting for the kangaroo care) and baby is starting to vocalize.  She
cried when mommy tried to leave!
My only frustration is that, mom wants to talk to the Dr about this 50/50
EBM/ABM garbage, but she can't go to the hosp in the morning, and the Dr
isn't there in the afternoon.  I asked her if she had called the Dr to talk
on the phone...she hadn't thought of doing that!!!  Ackkk!  I guess she is
doing the best she can given that she has lost one baby and is worried about
the survivor.  I am constantly amazed at how different people handle similar
situations differently.  I had a mom whose baby was born at 22.5 wks.  No
one expected this kid to survive.  Mom stayed with him nearly 24 hrs a day
had the rest of her family take care of the other kids at home.  She read up
on everything she could find, made the nurses teach her how to do
everything.  She argued with them when they insisted on giving her baby ABM
and told them if they did they'd find themselves in court.  This lady was in
on everything!  Her son is now 12 mo old and doing very well.  Fully BF!
She kept her milk supply up in the worst of situations...I wish that all
moms could be as strong as this one was.  If they had the proper support
from the hospital and Drs and not just the BF counsellors, maybe they could be.
Someday...
Jay
Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, CA
"No Miracles performed here, just a lot of love and hard work."