From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 11:12:07 EST
Dear Judy,

In my experience with mom's with low supply and infant not getting enough, I
always instruct them to use breast compression (demonstrate to them because
they often don't squeeze firmly enough, nor far enough back on breast; I give
Dr. Jack's printed info on breast compression,too) first and when that fails
to produce swallowing, to use super switch nursing, which may mean switching
every couple of minutes and does tend to produce more letdowns.  Downside to
switch nursing is the baby who begins to refuse to relatch after being taken
off a time or two; then breast compression, clutch hold, upright baby (side
sitting) to keep baby alert sometimes helps.  Also, with this breastfeeding
couple, how about the SNS which would keep baby at breast and help increase
supply?

Barbara Latterner, BSN,RN,IBCLC
Waiting out the freezing rain in Brewster, NY so I can go see mom and twins!