From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 05:04:12 EDT

In a message dated 10/11/2005 11:18:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

The early  "fog" of childbirth is one thing, but I'm also referring to long
before  that and long after that- like when one is choosing her health-care
provider or deciding on prenatal testing or *choosing* (and I use this  word
with regret) how to feed their newborn baby before the baby arrives  or
deciding where to have the baby sleep.  Just a few examples that  come to
mind for me when I think of moms blindly accepting the  recommendations of
some authority.

Dear Friends:
    Could it be that folks are vulnerable when they  have no fundamental
expertise or knowledge?  As an example, I am certain  that most people don't know
enough about cars or dentistry to make informed  choices. I found my car
mechanic by trial and error. I am sure there are better  criteria than that,
however as I am mystified by how cars work, or how plumbing  can be fixed, so I "go
with the flow" and pretty much blindly trust my  practitioner, once I have
established that the person has been successful  before, is reliable, and
convenient in my life. I feel lucky that my car  mechanic lives a walk away from my
house.
    I am not stupid; I also don't want to take, nor do  I have, the the time
to become educated enough about cars or plumbing to  make totally informed
choices. I rely on my practitioner to take care of  me.
    We can't know enough about everything to make the  best choices in all
areas of our life. I am sure that this is part of people's  healthcare choices,
particularly in a society where I have been raised to "do  everything that the
doctor says" and childbirth education videos mostly all  begin with a
disclaimer that "this video is not meant to substitute for medical  advice".
    What do you all think?
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com