From:
"Lisa Marasco, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 1996 12:14:06 -0500
>>The mother said she did not see any real breast changes
during her pregnancy. She is not taking any medication. The mother has not
 felt any engorgement but she was leaking when I saw her today and  said she
has been leaking since the baby was born.    She also said her mother and
grandmother
were not able to breastfeed either as they did not have any milk. <<

Jan, you definitely have a suspicious situation.  My two questions are of the
obvious: Does she have the characteristic "udder" look of the breasts?
Secondly, was she screened for a placental fragment?  On the second item, I
recently had a mom who had a hx of various weird problems w/her babies, and
#5 wasn't gaining well, so I was focusing on allergies and such, since their
kids were sickly and allergic. It was only after a few weeks, no complaints
about pp bleeding, and a sudden surge of cramping and bleeding and passing of
tissue that she reported to me that I realized that she had had a retained
fragment. This mom wasn't a complainer! And once she passed the tissue, her
supply increased and baby has done well.

-Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC
[log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]