From:
Valerie Mcclain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:29:52 -0800
Since I have noticed some interesting posts on formula--soy and
organic(that's a joke,eh?), I thought I'd post something of interest to
this particular discussion.  A friend who lives in the next town over
from mine gave me a report she had just received called, Annual Consumer
Report on the Quality of Our Drinking Water--4 pages of which 2 are
tables of contaminants.  In highlighted print(not highlighted by my
friend) was the following, "Some people may be more vulnerable to
contaminants in drinking water than is the general population."  They
list immuno-compromised persons such as persons with HIV/AIDS, cancer,
some elderly and infants as at risk for infections.  Now the last
statement is about taking appropriate means to lessen the risk of
infection by Cryptosporidium and other microbial contaminants.  We, in
the U.S., have assumed a level of safety in our water supplies.  After
reading this report, I am beginning to wonder.  I certainly think this
is yet another reason to breastfeed.  Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC