From:
Susan Hergert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:17:03 -0400
"The issue at hand is of certification.  What credentials do the
educating
bodies that confer certification have to confer said certification?
It's not
that the CLE/CLC/CBS/CLS/Certified-whatever may not perform a good or
useful
service -- but the question is, WHAT does the certification MEAN?"

OK, Jan. So this is a hotbutton issue. But, let's be honest! There are
programs all of the place that confer "certifications." I hold 4
certifications and am working on a 5th. Only two of those required
testing and ongoing evidence of continuing education.

What we probably need to do is to educate the public about what to look
for and what questions to ask regarding certifications.

And BTW..... BSNs have rigorously argued, at different times in
history,  that they should take a different exam than do ADNs. The
preparation is NOT the same. It's a blurry distinction.... and the
public needs to figure that out. That's just the way it is.

Have any of you ever gone to a certified mechanic? Did you know who
issued his/ her credential? Did you ask? Did you take childbirth
education from a certified person? How was that individual certified?
Did you really check into it? Have you obtained a degree from an
accredited university? Accredited by whom?

The truth is that only a licence confers a legal status. A certification
does not. Until the time at which states licence lactation
professionals...... I hate to say it but..... Buyer beware! That's just
the way the law works.

Susan Keith-Hergert

PS. State licensure would, as you all know, open another can of worms.
It may be worth it in the end but I'm not sure.