From:
Jeanne Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 06:59:33 -0600
Barbara,
Jack's comments are wonderful, as usual.  I was wondering, though, about
this:
Mom #1
> And yes,  she knows surgery is an outpatient
> surgery, but can't handle the thought of surgery with only a local
> anesthesia.
Are they suggesting she can only have the tumor removed under a local,
or are they telling her that she'd have to stay in the hospital
overnight if they used a general anesthesia?  Is her fear of having it
removed related to surgery on her head, or having to have the surgery
while awake?  Is surgery always necessary for this? (That's really a
question for the docs on the list - I have no idea about that one.)

Mom #2:
If a mom has a past history of delayed lactogenesis, it's great that
she's asking for some anticipatory guidance with this one.  Check into
LLLI's Breastfeeding Answer Book, and Riordan and Auerbach's
Breastfeeding and Human Lactation for possible reasons for delay.  The
thing that comes to my mind immediately is diabetes - possibly
gestational diabetes - because her milk did eventually come in.  Did her
mother or sisters have trouble with milk coming in slowly?

Since babies are designed to live on colostrum for 2-4 days, I'd give
the baby a chance to learn to breastfeed for a few days with
supplementing.  Then she can use a feeding device at the breast until
her milk comes in.  Now, if this baby is sluggish, or not nursing
effectively, she may want to pump with a good electric pump every 3-4
hours until her milk comes in, just to be sure she's getting maximum
milk removal.

Let us know how it turns out.

--
Jeanne Mitchell, Austin, TX