From:
Debbie Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:12:25 -0700
Have you considered CST or evaluation by a pediatric chiropractor?
Sometimes baby gets his jaw tweaked on the way out and it hurts to open wide
and even feed from a bottle, let alone a (comparatively) huge breast.  Be
sure his chin is pressed firmly against the areola when positioned, to
hopefully elicit the gape reflex (although at 9w it may be getting more
muted).  Vacuum extraction can also cause the palate to lift, per a local
pediatric chiropractor (the thought just makes me shudder but it makes
sense).  Hopefully with upcoming growth spurts, baby's jaw can get large
enough to get latched better w/o damaging mom.  Also he might do better if
he has an appetizer away from the breast instead of putting the hungry baby
to breast; he'll have more patience and stamina.

HTH,

Debbie Gillespie, IBCLC, LLLL
Sunny Tempe, AZ