From:
Teresa Vinisky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:08:57 -0400
and this seems to be the KEY here- airway occlusion
while breastfeeding isn't killing these babies-
healthy babies will move their heads, squirm and cry
if their airway is blocked- they will NOT continue to
suck/swallow(aka breastfeed) if their airway  is
blocked-- so I believe that the phrase "death while
breastfeeding" is extrememly inflammatory and
innacurate

Exactly!  My 32 week gestation twins had come home and were "fine". Not on
any monitors or anything. One day, at about 38 weeks gest or 6 weeks of age,
one ofthem stopped breathing while in the sling, in the grocery store. I
realized he'd stopped nursing and pulled him uot of the sling. Happened to
be a NICU nurse in front of me in line. It's so hard to think about this or
type it. But, the point is, after we went to Children's hosp, they did a
sleep study on him and he failed TERRIBLY! He was having a huge amount of
very long pauses in his breathing. They decided we should check his twin
(the smaller twin -they were TTTS). He was also having extremely long
pauses. They came home this time with monitors, but never had a true alarm.
What was explained to me though, was that Colby's breathing may have been
blocked for a second or so by my breast. A normal haelthy baby would ahve
picked right back up breathing, but Colb just didn't start again.
Teresa
LLL Leader in PA
Mom to Brady (7), Abbey (6) Colby and Riley (3)