From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 10:55:59 -0800
 Okay...I agree that "labelling" flat nipples is dangerous to the mom's
confidence, but I also think one can put it in such a way to prepare the
mom that she might need to work a bit harder.  I've had great success with
products like the shells for inverted nipples and the newer product by
Maternal Concepts (Evert It).  I'd also teach the nipple sandwich technique
to these moms.  Honestly, in other societies/different times, these moms
were told to "borrow" an experienced baby to help bring the nipple out.  I
was one with flat nipples for my first baby and by numbers 2 and 3 my
nipples were no longer flat, so I can see how that might help.  The sad
thing is that 25% of all women have varying degress of "flat or inverted
nipples" and there are so many docs/nurses who will tell moms that they are
ill-equiped for nursing because of it.  I'd like to change the norm so that
these nipples are just viewed as part of the continuem of "normal."

Speaking of which...I was just reading Cosmo in a docs office and saw a
product like the Evert-It for lips (to make them more pouty).  It was right
next to a heated eyelash curling iron!
Chris

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]  : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340   : )
: )------------**CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**------------------ : )