From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:17:30 EST
Dear Friends:
    Nancy Wights, "Some intelligent people (including myself), who actively
support breastfeeding, would prefer a C-S.  (The increased risk of respraitory
problems is negated by having the woman go into labor spontaneously first,
then
doing the C-S.)"

       This is true if one believes that birth can be only technologically
driven to be successful, and that attending birth is a constant chore as one
must continually scrutinize a mother and baby while the process is going on,
crash cart in hand. And usually the birth is prodded into action before it is
ready.
    However, the great majority of well-nourished (emotionally as well as
physically) women of childbearing age bearing a naturally (spontaneously)
conceived baby, need little beyond her own body to birth the baby. She does need a
loving and warm environment. She also needs privacy to open and freedom to use
her body to get the work done. All this is documented beyond question from a
variety of researchers around the world: Klaus, Kennell, Odent, Widstrom,
Uvnas-Moberg, the Newtons, Righard, Alade, Fisher, Arms, Renfrew, the Cochrane data
base, Cranston Anderson, and Ludington. (Apologies to those whose names I
forgot to mention.)
    A mother that I worked with recently comes from Liberia. She asked me,
'Why you always in this country gonna sue? Sue, sue, sue. What is that?" She
told me that in Liberia, "....everybody knows that sometimes the mother dies or
sometimes the baby dies or sometimes they both die and sometimes they both
live. It isn't up to a human. It is up to God." What an amazing and realistic
attitude. We did agree that women need to be cherished while they are pregnant,
with good food and birth environment.
    There is every study and every gut feeling and every hormone in favor of
spontaneous labor with the baby coming out the hole it went in.
   Fear has become bigger than Life. That is the USA now, and that attitude
is contagious to the rest of the world.
   We have taken away all that makes birth work better for most women, and
made it violent and disturbed. Then we say "Look, that is awful. Let's just cut
the baby out instead."
    Don't even wonder what happens to the desire, commitment and hormones of
lactation and breastfeeding when birth has become so deranged.
    warmly,