From:
Lavinia Belli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:58:23 +0200
A mother of a 14 months old breastfeeding child was told by her gynecologist that after some (?) months the contraceptive Cerazet (desogestrel) ceases to be effective and that she should wean in order to be able to use combination contraceptives.....................yes, I know that if anything lactation will enhance the effect of the contraceptive and that even if they are not a first choice for lactating women, combination oral contraceptives are compatible with breastfeeding, but I wonder about the effects -if any- of estrogen-progesterone oral contraceptives in an older child -I´ve found data on neonates- and the decreased effects of desogestrel after X months.

I´d appreciate your input.

Sincerely,

Lavinia Belli
Belgium........and pretty soon in Norway.