From:
"Berkeley, Libby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:33:06 -0500
Dear Lactnetters;

I work in an OB-Gyn clinic attached to a medical school.  I have been given
the opportunity to do lots of education with the residents and medical
staff, which I plan on taking full advantage of.  We have been able to do
generic breastfeeding presentations to various combinations of residents,
physicians and nurses in Pedi., OB, and in our attached county hospital.
Now I am working on a presentation on the importance of the prenatal breast
exam, having discovered that our OB residents do not do this exam with an
eye towards anything but breast masses.  One of our faculty is very
interested in rectifying this, and I feel it is a great opportunity for the
physicians to begin the discussion about breastfeeding early in prenatal
care (although many of our patients only start in late 2nd trimester or
early 3rd).

My question is: do any of you have a) presentations on this topic, and / or
b)suggestions on where best to begin looking for good information on this.
Ruth Lawrence has some information, a medical text on OB by Gabbe has a
little, Riordan probably has things I could piece together, but nothing
comprehensive on that topic.

I want to hear from as many people as possible!  Please even if you have
only a comment to make, I want to hear it.

Muchas gracias,
Libby Berkeley

Lizabeth J. Berkeley, MPH, CHES, IBCLC
Department of OB-Gyn