From:
Ellen Shein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2011 23:30:09 +0300
dear colleagues

the plot seems to thicken, with all the new requirements,  but it would seem to me that there is a not so hidden agenda here. i would think that one way to stop the madness would be to create another set of initials, for a new INTERNATIONAL credential by some of our esteemed IBCLC's of today to compete with IBLCE. as many of us have pointed out throughout the years, there is hardly anything INTERNATIONAL today about the examining Board and exam itself. it is very difficult to keep an organization which was historically perhaps more USA oriented - a truly global organization when country laws and requirements and of course language are so differing.
No one says hat there can only be one examining body responsible for accrediting lactation consultants. i would suggest that those interested (i have gray hair already!!) and younger, full of ambition, drive and a bit of know-how - start an alternative program. and without being nasty or meaning to insinuate anything, i would wager a bet that the new organization would no doubt succeed inbringing back the term - consultant - and compassion - to our wonderful profession.
as one of the first IBCLCs in Israel i can tell you it was no easy feat to clock up 4000 hours, but i can assure you, none of the new requirements would have made me a better or more compassionate listener' would not teach me how to meet a mother where she s at.
it is up to each and every one of us, as professionals, to seek out courses and new ways of keeping on top of things. same as i suppose kindergarten teachers and anyone dealin with teaching and councelling. the professions themselves i wager to not require non-endng courses, but depending on the particular setting, a professional would probably have to acquire different know-how. just for an example maybe - a nurse  working with babies would require different additional courses if she would suddenly move into the cardiac
unit. there is no end to medical expertise and requirements which many of us have no use for.
with respect.

ellen shein, LLLI IBCLC for now.
tel aviv