Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 23:17:05 -0500
Priscilla writes:
 "There's no way I can cover anything in ONE HOUR!  The name of the
> presentation,(which I had to submit before I had prepared the
presentation so
> the flyer could go out) is "Infant Feeding:  Nursing Care in the
Prevention of
> Childhood Ilness

It's hard to talk for an hour when you have a week's worth of information
to share.
One of the toughest things for me to do is decide WHAT is my priority with
each group I speak to.  I speak to parents, peds staff, ob staff,
residents, established peds docs, entire departments  sometimes - and I'm
preparing talks for the Emergency Dept, Anesthesia, and adult General
surgery.
Of necessity, the information, tone of the talk and level of complexity
varies with each group.

Some things I have learned:
1. never assume anyone knows anything, regardless of what letters they have
after their name or what you told them last time.
2. people don't like to ADMIT they don't know - so it's good to present
basics under the label "review"
3. funny is good
4. props are a necessity
5. prizes for participation/good answers keep people involved [I use
breastfeeding buttons]
6.  people only "listen" if they think the info is relevent to them
7. handouts are good if you're selective about what you hand out
8. If you have an hour you can probably cover 3 general points pretty well.
      I like to cover one thing they already know in greater depth,
introduce them to a new concept or idea that they haven't been exposed to
and lastly re-educate them about a concept that they likely have
"outdated/incorrect" information on.  If you do it in that order, too, you
establish your credibility and "good fund of knowledge" and they are more
likely to accept information from you that "conflicts" with their current
view of breastfeeding reality.

Good luck with your talk!

Gail
Gail Hertz, MD, IBCLC
Pediatric Resident
author of the little green breastfeeding book - disclaimer: owner of Pocket
Publications