From:
"Britton, Amy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 14:42:25 -0500
Answers from my hospital's 10-bed Level 2 nursery

a)who does the fortification? RNs (we don't have any LVN or techs in our Level 2 nursery)

b)what protective devices are worn? Do we really have to dress like we are

going to a C/S to fix a bottle of breastmilk? Gloves. I think the rest is overkill

c)are any of you doing checking of the numbers on the breastmilk with 2

nurses before feeding? Yes, as a result of 2 instances in which babies were feed EBM not from their own mothers. So policy was changed and they are now treating EBM as a medication

d)do any of you sterilize the pump parts for parents while they are still

in the hospital, or do you just instruct them to do this once they get

home? Done at home

e)are any of you using the Medela microsteam bags to sterilize pump parts

or haberman feeders in the hospital, and if so who is responsible for

doing this? How do you store them after they are sterilized? Not doing this

Amy Britton, RN, CNM, RDMS
Clinical Nurse Educator- Maternal/Child Health
Houston, TX