From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 20:04:08 -0500
Have to respond to Bonnie Jones' recent post re: nsg. twins. I breastfed my
twin daughters for about 14 months, and a lot of my suggestions to a new MOT
would be different than hers.

In particular, I don't necessarily recommend starting out by nursing both
babies at once, especially if she's had a CS, a particularly arduous
delivery, etc. I had a CS, complicated by a post-op infection, and I
absolutely hated nsg. both babies at once. For one thing, it was wicked
uncomfortable, no matter what position they were in. For another, my babies
had very different sucking rates and styles, and it just felt yucky to nurse
them at the same time. My babes were big old fat creatures (8#11 and 8#7 at
birth), and even as NB's they kicked and fussed with each other when I tried
to nurse them together - they didn't seem to like it either. The main thing
against it, though, was that it was emotionally very difficult for me to pay
what felt like "proper" attention to them when I tried to do both at once.
It was indescribably uncomfortable to try to divide my "mother" energy - I
had no problem bonding with them individually, but it never felt like I was
attending to them the way my mother instincts urged me to do when I was
nursing them together. Do you know what I mean?

What did work for me well, once I figured it out (DUH!), was to nurse
whoever wanted to eat whenever she "demanded" to nurse, and then wake the
other one and see if she'd do it. Almost always she would. (Although
Bonnie's right, there does tend to be a greedier baby and a less demanding
one - I didn't find that very important, though, because I definitely didn't
tend to spend longer with the second one.) For the first few weeks, that was
fine - they didn't usually "demand" to nurse at exactly the same time, nor
did the "second" baby refuse to nurse when gently awakened. After that,as
they spent more time awake, I found that it worked very well if I propped
the non-nursing baby up in my lap - on bed or sofa, my knees pulled up, nsg.
baby in "cradle" hold or whatever, non-nsg. baby leaning up against my
knees. They seemed to learn quickly, or almost know instinctively, that both
of them would get to eat, and this tended to be a very social experience for
the three of us, but without interfering with that delicious
in-love-with-the-nsg-baby feeling. I think it's also the reason that my
worst nightmare never materialized (well, just once!): both babies screaming
at the same time, in a time/place when I couldn't nurse them (and I also had
a 4-yr. old)conveniently or discreetly or whatever...like in the grocery
store checkout line, in winter coats & snowsuits, no free hands, etc. etc.).
They seemed to understand more about sharing and taking turns than I ever
tried to consciously "teach" them.

Yes, Bonnie - I always advise new moms of twins to keep the babies in the
same bed, for as long as it seems to be working. I'll never forget those
first few nights (so-called) home with them till I figured this out. They
were as happy as clams until I put them in their separate beds, at which
point they would wail as if their hearts would break, till I finally put
them both together in the smallest baby-holder I could find - either a
little wicker bassinet or an old-fashioned singly buggy. At which point they
would scooch and mooch themselves into the tightest corner, with their heads
mashed together exactly the way they were in utero. Their little heads were
like pieces of a puzzle, the way they fit together (eventually we had to
work on correcting the head shape of the smaller one, whose head was all
mashed on one side for several months).

The main thing I try to do when working with other mothers of twins is help
them figure out what will work best for them and their babies. Everyone's
different - and I've worked with moms whose babies were as early as 24 wks.
right up through big honking full-termers like mine were. The mothers need
so much support and reassurance! When you have twins (or more, I'm sure)
everyone you meet makes such a fuss that it begins to seem like some really
huge deal, which it is but so is every baby born...Mostly I think they need
to know that this is not some unheard-of thing, and their bodies are
designed to handle it, and that they have everything they need to do a great
job of it, whatever approach they decide to take. I found BF'ing to be
really easy with my twins (after a miserable experience with my first) -
always a huge milk supply, less time to fuss about the details that can
interfere with the way it's supposed to be, so much easier than the
alternative that I can't even imagine what it would be like. But I think
it's incredibly important to respect & support the mom's ideas of what she
wants to do, whether it makes sense to us with all our special knowledge or
not - if she wants to nurse one baby and bottle the other at one fdg, and
then reverse at the next fdg, or nurse & simultaneously pump, or whatever,
if it's working for her & the babes I just try to support her in what she
wants to do, even though I'm thinking "what on earth is she thinking??This
is 4 times harder than just doing x,y,z.."

Sorry so long - I meant to keep it short, honest!
Cathy Bargar - whose babies are now seniors in high school and beautiful,
strong, healthy young women!