Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:20:31 -0400
I am wondering if it necessary to persist with the diet recommendations related to the consumption of fish during pregnancy while one is lactating?

I understand the issue is mercury. And I am familiar with the concerns related to fish consumption and high levels of mercury in the diet of a pregnant mother and potential neurodevelopment issues for her developing baby.?

But, my question is, does this recommendation extrapolate out well to lactation? We were discussing this at a staff meeting recently as one of my co-workers was asked about by a mother about the need for continuing the?diet restrictions postpartum,?that were being recommended during her pregnancy (fish consumption, avoidance of foods related to the transmission of listeriosis etc.). For example, the diet recommendations related to reduction of risk of transmission of listeria do not apply to postpartum women, as the postpartum woman (lactating or not) is not at the heightened risk of contracting listeriosis.??

Of course we recommend all?mothers eat a well balanced, nutritious diet for their own benefit.

I spent quite some time reviewing my texts, journals and online trying to locate information about fish consumption during lactation. What I could find was relatively sparse, but appeared to conclude that the prenatal diet has the strongest correlation in regard to mercury levels in breastmilk (in terms of food sources, there are other sources, amalgam fillings etc.). Cows milk based formula is a far greater source of mercury than breastmilk (surprise!).

I am just trying to determine if it is necessary to apply the pregnancy diet recommendation?regarding fish consumption to lactating women??This is the consistent recommendation I read in many sources of literature, but is it necessary?

I understand the intention to be cautious etc. but is this diet restriction truly warranted for breastfeeding women? I would like to avoid providing recommendations for dietary restrictions that are not necessary and may be perceived as burdensome to some mothers.

If anyone has further information to offer I would appreciate hearing your insight!

Thank-you,

Michelle H. Kinne ICCE CD(DONA) CLE
www.DoulaDiva.org