From:
Sue Jacoby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 18:43:45 -0400
Thank-you Kathleen, for pointed out the highly erroneous information and
negative tone of the breastfeeding sections in What To Expect When You're
Expecting (and also ...In the First Year.)  I also warn parents about this
book because everyone seems to have a copy and many have told me that they
had been quite bothered by the book's tone.  I once wrote a detailed negative
critique of this book for the OBs I work with, because they were giving it to
their patients, free.  I mentioned the bad latch-on instructions this way:
<The biggest problem with the latching-on instructions has to do with what is
not said.  The vital step-by-step guidelines which insure correct latching-on
are just left out, for some reason.  The authors basically say Repeat step 3
and 4  several times and the baby should eventually take the nipple in her
mouth  This reminds me of that joke where the physicist is diagramming
something on the chalkboard and at one point writes  *and then a miracle
happens*  Finally, I wrote to the authors with my concerns about the
information in their book and they responded that they had not been aware of
any innacuracies, and would make changes in the next revision.  I have to
admit that I have my doubts about their ability to produce an appropriate
chapter on breastfeeding, given their obvious bias against it.  Readers of
their second book will find this statement about night nursing:  <...their
mothers are usually willing to sacrifice unbroken sleep to serve as
*round-the-clock milk dispensers*>  They also advise that the best way to get
a baby to sleep through the night is to let him cry  <as long as the parent
can tolerate an hour or more of vigorous crying and screaming>  Seems to me
the least they could do is write a companion book in baby-talk called What To
Expect From the Cruel World.  Sue Jacoby. IBCLC &LLL