Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 00:47:58 EDT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
Kathy D. wrote:
"To people outside the health field, the term "denies" carries connotations of being accused of something.  The "alleged perpetrator" of a crime "denies" being guilty.  I think that's why it rouses such feelings of
 uncomfortableness.  "Mother is accused of XYZ, and denies it."  "Compliance" is the other one that rubs me the wrong way.  I'm sure my medical charts have NON-COMPLIANT stamped on them in big red letters."

I know that some people think this terminology is just a habit and not very important. I disagree. I often tell moms who have had births they are unhappy with to get their medical records to help them understand/evaluate their experiences. Think about how those moms feel when "denies" is used to describe them replying in the negative to a question. Kathy is correct--the perception is that people deny that which they wish to conceal, but is actually true, so the perception is that the HCP thinks the mother is lying. And there are already rants in the archives from me about that most awful of all words--"non-compliant".
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, UA

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2