From:
Maurice Blanchet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 23:04:36 -0500
Dear Lactnetters:
     I am new to LACTNET and have looked in the archives for information
on this subject.  My sister has a baby girl born in early December.  She
was breastfeeding well and frequently and having explosive stools.  Then
she stopped stooling for twelve days.  She required suppositories to
stool.  She went to a gastroenterologist, had an x-ray, and was put on
Maltsupex.  They questioned Hirschprung's disease, and were going to do
a biopsy after a stool sample.  The stool sample showed
allergy/sensitivity to milk and soy protein.  They recommended the
elemental formula to her.  She declined and is on a milk and soy free
diet and still breastfeeding.  She couldn't use the breastmilk she had
saved for returning to work.  So, she quit work and will probably donate
the milk to a milk bank.  She has been on diet since end of Feb.  The
baby still has times when she doesn't stool for a few days.  What is
your experience in dealing with soy and milk protein allergy? and do you
know of any resources or references I can find on the subject to support
her choice to continue breastfeeding?
    Mary N Blanchet RN
  email: [log in to unmask]