Date:
Thu, 25 Dec 1997 23:05:02 +0000
Hello, all -

I've been subscribed to LACTNET for only a few months, but have
found it to be a fantastic learning experience, so thank you all for
that.

I'm a writer and joined mainly to learn from you, but now I find I
have a problem of my own. (Before I decided to ask here, I have
seen/spoken with four medical professionals as well as searched the
LACTNET archives and the 'net in general).  I hesitate to bother you
all, but I am lost with this one, and the doctors/nurses I have
spoken with seem fairly ignorant of many aspects of breastfeeding,
particularly of nursing a toddler.

My 21-month old daughter took a course of oral antibiotics about 3-4
weeks ago.  About a week later, she seemed to have a bit of a yeasty
diaper rash (not altogether unusual for her) and I started to get
what I thought was thrush on my nipples.  It got really bad for
awhile (shooting deep breast pain, painful pink nipples), and then
seemed to get a lot better.  But before it entirely disappeared on
the left side, I noticed I had a sore on my nipple.  Within two days,
I had two separate 1/4" - 1/3" lacerations, and my daughter came down
with what seemed like a cold - fever, runny nose, loss of appetite,
crankiness. I continued to nurse from both sides on demand until
there were two more - even bigger - cuts and the pain of her
suckling was more than I could stand.

At this point (Monday), I saw a nurse-practitioner who suggested a I
had a possible yeast infection that was now maybe a staph infection.
 Started me on nystatin cream and augmentin.  I then went to my
daughter's ped, and they found no real signs of a yeast infection,
but multiple open sores on her mouth and gums.  The doctor said
they were probably just (herpes simplex) cold sores and said they
would heal in time. Prescribed oral nystatin just in case.

Four days later, daughter still miserable as ever (awake 7+
times/night, *desperate* to nurse both sides, eating little other
than breastmilk from my right side), my wounds are still not healing
very well AND I seem to be getting some pimply things on my right
side - nursing now and it's a bit painful.

I had a confirmed case of chicken pox when I was 15 or so, so it's
probably not that on my end.  If she had chicken pox, could the
virus somehow have traumatized my skin to such a degree as to allow
her teeth to cut through?  Could one of the herpes viruses?  I've
also gained an odd little swelling on my lip (cut, whitish either
side) that seems to match one she has.  Also, since this illness, her
breath is no longer baby-fresh, smells a bit like raw meat. (Blood?)

The engorgement I experienced when I couldn't nurse or pump on the
left was absolutely debilitating. Altogether, I'm at a loss, and
have little faith in the doctors available to me.  (Even after I
characterized the pain of my daughter's last nursing attempt as
"like being sliced," the doc on the phone said to take some tylenol
and just pump.  Right.  I ended up taking a long, hot shower and
gathered enough courage to painfully express an ounce or two.)

Any ideas/advice?

In desperation,

-Nancy
Your Pregnancy Online