Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:38:33 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
I heartily disagree with the implication here that M* designed teats to steer women away from breastfeeding.  The teat design work is an attempt to construct a teat that will allow baby to go back to mother without NIPPLE CONFUSION.  Now we all know that there's probably not one perfect teat that will fit all babies, the way a breast will adapt, but it is an admirable goal from an engineering standpoint to try to accommodate the mother who wants to continue to provide milk for her baby while she is away and still promote return to the breast when she is there.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Linda Bubeck IBCLC
Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2009 3:20 PM
Subject: Breastfeeding Moms returning to work.

I teach a working moms pumping class at Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.  Frankly all this CODE discussion has me very concerned regarding ethics as an IBCLC.  Perhaps I need to give my class written notice that I do not endorse any pump company.  And then too I should probably skip the part where I show them the Pump in Style and the Purely Yours pumps; concentrate more on hand expression. Tell them that they are own their own with regards to electric pumps. 

Guess my handout packet needs to include cup feeding and finger feeding instructions for the caregiver.  Since discussing slow flow wide base nipples for bottles would be taken for my telling them to use formula.  Even though the focus of the class is pumping breastmilk so baby continues to get breastmilk when away from mom.

And too, does all this mean that I shouldn't use any of Medela's products? Tell the hospital I can't use the Lactinas we have.  Working as a Hospital LC is an ethical problem with all those Medela products we use.  Maybe the way I work will have to be old school...breast and baby. When I think of some of the gals that wouldn't be still nursing their babies if it weren't for one of those products it's a shame but at least the CODE will be upheld.

And is Ameda/Evenflow okay?  I always think artificial teats when I think of Evenflow.

Who would have ever thought that the company that brought us the new anatomy of the lactating breast, the discovery of stem cells in breastmilk and so much research from Dr. Peter Hartman would sink to such levels as to advertise an artificial teat to steer mothers away from providing breastmilk for their infants.  I for one never saw it coming.  They make millions from breastfeeding but secretly want mothers to formula fed.  Shame on them.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2