From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2008 10:07:12 +1100
Hi Pam,
Abuse or neglect usually does not prevent the development of attachment. It
does however, usually mean that the attachment is not secure and this is
usually evident in the Strange Situation. Insecurity of attachment is not
necessary pathological; an anxious or avoidant attachment is not associated
with increased risk of pathology. However, a disorganised attachment (the
third type of insecure attachment) is a risk factor for serious mental
illness like borderline personality disorder. My interest in this...children
with a history of abuse or neglect who are then placed in alternative care
via adoption or fostering are a very vulnerable group. They require a higher
level of "good enough" parenting in order to avoid developing a disorganised
attachment. They require that their caregivers be sensitive to them but also
that they not accept their rejecting behaviours at face value because they
very often attempt to push away their new parents...bringing this back to
the topic of Lactnet...this means that in situations where the mother wishes
to breastfeed that it won't happen straight away, the child will not be able
to accept the closeness and intimacy required, however, this is also the
reason why breastfeeding is so valuable to that dyad, this is why it is
worth working on. It's a balancing act. My article discussing this is at
http://www.internationalbreastfeedingjournal.com/content/1/1/5
Karleen Gribble
Australia