From:
Amy Kotler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 06:32:10 -0600
I am proud to say that I have only had 1 cavity in my 33 yrs which I got
during my pregnancy- I really like my Dentitst b/c I found him after my
daughter was born and I needed this filling it turned out when I called his
number from the yellow pages it transfered to his cell at home b/c he said
his wife "just had a baby" so our kids are the same age, then when I went to
his beautiful office I saw that he graduated Dental school just a yr before I
grad med school- so I must say that he was the inspiration for me to open my
own office since he was able to do it- so we've become good friends and he
knows how impt. BF'ing is to me, he didn't blink an eye when I was nursing my
baby while he filled the cavity- he said his wife tried but she "had no milk"
I said "uh huh" I've sent him stuff from Palmer's web site- so now his wife is
expecting their second- (she works there as receptionist) I offered free
prenatal breastfeeding c/s- she smiled politely- we're not going to BF- why?
it (bottle/formula) worked well for the first one he's healthy -me, stats,
risks, etc... -it wouldn't be fair to the older one since he wasn't BF- me I
told them about the infact poster Dentistry 101 -it promotes good oral motor
development- and thats why I have no cavities and never needed braces- I was
breastfed! they just laughed -how about risks to mother for not BF'ing ....
she just shrugged her shoulders- then said she was never engorged and her
breasts only increased about 1/2 bra size at the most -could it be that she's
one of 10% who "can't BF"- that is really a high number- oh then she said that
everyone she knows who BF only had probs- I said thats prob b/c they didn't
get right help from start and used pacifiers or gave some bottles - she said
no- and that the baby was very colicky but did much better once started on
formula- oh I get that a lot- that the baby couldn't BF b/c he was very
colicky (allergic to something I was eating) and did much better once on
formula- How do you respond to that? mother knows her child best- certainly
not willing to "relactate" although I have brought up that a few times just so
parents know it is an option- kids already over 6 months comming in for third
ear infection- Whenever I see a child for first time under 3 I always say- are
you breastfeeding? (never assume and let them know that I think its perfectly
natural question to ask) 99.9% no- then I decide whether to leave it at that
or make any other comment- like if they said "I did it for the first few wks"
I'll say thats great- or if they say I tried but I couldn't, or he wouldn't
latch on, I'll say oh, (what should I say?) if your interested for the next
baby I can help you... You know they never seem to feel "guilty" but I do! One
mother with a child with such freq. ear inf. I was rec. ENT for possible
tubes -not my pt so I had no qualms about "guilt" I asked if she was BF- mom-
no- I sympathetically said oh- double whammy for those ears (don't remember
the other whammy ?bottle?) mom laughed yeah!
Amy Kotler MD Dover Peds.
at least in the building where my office is there's another Dentist office
(older I don't know if their wives BF) but they are supportive of my BRC and
they said they will be willing to do frenulotomies for me- one is an oral
surgeon